Ridiculous Candy Brownies
Happy Halloween! I know you all are busy with Halloween preparations today but I just had to stop in with this ridiculous brownie recipe. There is no Halloween candy fairy in our house. No candy is magically swept away and converted into toys in the middle of night. Our Halloween candy gets sorted, eaten, and used in recipes like these brownies. They are so simple I don’t even go so far as to make the brownie batter from scratch. I just use a box mix! These aren’t the brownies you make when you have guests coming over and want something fancy. These are the brownies you make when there is SO much candy in your house you have to gorge just once before moving on from Halloween altogether.
To start this recipe choose your favorite Halloween candies and try to make sure they aren’t too hard. You don’t want to break your tooth biting into a brownie. I usually use mini candy bars like Snickers, Mars, and Nestle Crunch. I also throw in a few Reese’s cups if I have enough on hand. Then, they get layered into brownie batter and baked up to perfection. They are undoubtedly crazy sugar bombs and should be eaten in moderation. I limit myself to one or two batches per year. But, oh, those couple of batches are so worth it. Have a fun and safe holiday night. See you next week!
- 1 package box brownie mix for a 13x9 brownie
- 2 cups chopped candy*
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, prepare the brownie batter according to package directions. Spread 1/3 of the batter on the bottom of the baking dish and scatter 1 cup of the chopped candy on top. Then, spread 1/3 of the batter on top and add a the second cup and candy pieces. Finally, spread the remaining 1/3 of batter on top.
- 3. Bake the brownies according to package directions until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- *Notes: Candy with caramel will melt and pucker in the brownies. Don't worry about it. Just let the brownies cool enough before you eat them so the hot caramel doesn't burn your mouth. If you don't want this look then skip the caramel filled candy and just use candy like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, m&ms, Nestle Crunch Bars, 3 Musketeers and the like!