Cheesy Butternut Squash Casserole + Thanksgiving Giveaway!
I have to admit, my favorite thing about Thanksgiving isn’t the turkey, it’s the side dishes. I love the potatoes, green beans, hot rolls, squash, and just about anything else that is surrounding the bird. During the fall I don’t find myself experimenting with turkey recipes, I focus on new side dish ideas. I am always looking for new favorites, ways to prepare a soup or vegetable I haven’t tried before. This year my latest favorite is this cheesy butternut squash casserole. It is salt, sweet, and hearty enough to be a side dish at one of the biggest meals of the year.
To make this awesome dish the other day I started by roasting the squash until soft and caramelized and cooking some onions on the stovetop. Then I tossed the squash and onions with sour cream and lots of Sargento cheese, a little salt and pepper, and topped it with panko bread crumbs. I popped it in the oven to bake until the cheese was totally melted and the panko a golden brown. After letting it cool just a bit I dove in with my fork and was thrilled with the outcome. The squash was rich and flavorful and the cheese was just the right touch. The panko topping was golden and crunchy, the perfect texture to combine with the softened squash.
This dish is definitely hearty enough for a Thanksgiving meal. It could even be made for a light vegetarian supper! Next time I am thinking of adding dried cranberries or cherries. They would add a nice pop of flavor and color. The get you in the mood for some cheesy Thanksgiving side dishes from friends at Sargento are giving away a great set of goodies you’ll need to make your very own squash casserole!
– This awesome Le Creuset baker that looks amazing on any table.
– A great serving spoon for all kinds of Thanksgiving side dishes.
– A gorgeous set of kitchen towels to ft the festive fall decor and pick up hot pots and pan!
– A pack of coupons for free Sargento cheese!
To Enter to Win the Sargenton Cheese Giveaway:
1) Share your favorite Thanksgiving side recipe.
2) Subscribe to Kelsey Banfield on Facebook
3) Like Sargento on Facebook
4) Contest runs from November 7th at 7:00am through November 14 at 7:00am ET. U.S. residents only please. Good luck!
(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Sargento. The photographs and recipes are my own. Thank your for supporting the sponsors that make The Naptime Chef possible.)
- 7 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 11/2 cups Sargento 4 State Cheddar Cheese
- 11/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss the squash with the oil and spread it onto the baking sheet. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until soft enough to be speared with a fork. Turn the squash when roasting as necessary.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Stir until soft and translucent. About 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and stir for one more minute. Remove from the heat.
- Scoop the onion and garlic into a large bowl and stir in the sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Then toss this mixture with the roasted squash. Spread the squash into a 13x9 baker.
- Toss the panko with the butter and sprinkle this over the squash. Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F and bake the casserole for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.