Chicken Marsala with Parmesan
During my year of exploring the flavor trend of mushrooms with Sargento I’ve been trying to highlight the many ways mushrooms can be used in home cooking. So far I’ve turned up ways to incorporate them into so many sides dishes and main courses. This month I wanted to take mushrooms and turn them into a sauce. I love a good savory mushroom sauce for pasta and chicken so why not try my hand at it home. The twist? This time I added some Parmesan breadcrumbs to the chicken and gave it a quick broil at the end, turn this dish into an earthy, cheesy delight.
Making this for my family was super easy. In fact, even after eating it the first time my husband quickly decided it should become part of our regular rotation. To make it I used Hen of the Woods mushrooms (my new favorite), white wine, butter, and salt and pepper to make an easy pan sauce. I dipped the chicken in flour before giving it a quick saute, then poured in the sauce and let it simmer while the chicken cooked. To finish it off I mixed some Sargento Parmesan with panko breadcrumbs, added a touch of butter and threw the whole thing under the broiler to toast them up.
The beauty of this simple dinner is that the mushroom flavor really shines while the crunchy Parmesan breadcrumbs provide the perfect salty underbelly. We served the chicken and sauce over a bed of couscous which was perfect for sopping up the warm, earthy sauce. Egg noodles, rice, or pasta would’ve easily worked well, too. This dish is a wonderful way to enjoy mushrooms and Parmesan in each bite. I highly recommend it for dinner tonight!
(Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Sargento as part of my year-long flavor journey. The recipe, photographs, and opinions are wholly my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that make The Naptime Chef possible.)
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
- 1 small pinch cracked black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 8 ounces Hen of the Woods mushrooms
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large plastic bag combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter and dip the chicken breasts in it. Then add the chicken breasts to the bag with the flour mixture and toss well.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 4 tablespoons of the butter and the garlic. Once the butter has melted add the chicken and cook it for about 5 minutes per side, or until both sides or golden brown.
- Add the wine and mushrooms to the pan and simmer the mixture for an additional 10 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt the remaining butter and combine it with the breadcrumbs. Turn your oven broiler to high.
- When the chicken is done, sprinkle the Parmesan breadcrumbs over the chicken and place it under the broiler for a minute or two, or until golden brown. Do NOT leave the broiler - watch it carefully through the oven door for the entire time. Serve warm!