Chocolate Coconut Pie
Since we’ll be in Cooperstown on Friday we are celebrating Valentine’s Day a little early this year. Per our Valentine’s Day celebration tradition, this year I made a decadent dessert. It all started with my daughter’s new found love of coconut and my eternal love of chocolate. When you put the two together you get this sinfully rich chocolate coconut pie.
The fun part about this pie is making it with your kids. I even took a big shortcut and used a frozen pie crust. I know that can be a little sacrilege, but when you are baking with kids those shortcuts can be very necessary to keep the project moving along. The filling comes together in a snap, just mixed the ingredients in one large bowl, fill the crust, and bake it up to chocolatey perfection!
When serving this for your friends, family, or co-workers this year make a big bowl of whipped cream to go alongside. The cream cuts through the rich chocolate and provides a little balance in each bite. Vanilla ice cream would work well too. The most important part, however, is to serve it with love and enjoy the day.
- 1 frozen pie crust, thawed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out the pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the sides with fork tines.
- In a large microwave-proof bowl heat the milk, butter, and baking chocolate in short bursts until the chocolate has melted and can be stirred together until smooth. Allow to cool for five minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the coconut, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in the eggs and stir well until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate into the pie crust and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. The baking time varies a bit from oven to oven so bake it just until done. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving.