Asparagus, Mushroom & Brown Rice Soup + Giveaway!
With spring just around the corner I am starting to think about asparagus. It is usually one of the very first vegetables I buy when our farmer’s market reopens and I can’t get enough of it. One of the very things I plan to make with it is this awesome asparagus soup. My friend, Lauren, made me something similar last fall and I’ve been thinking about it all winter.
This beauty of this soup is that it comes together so easily and tastes like a spring. The rice gives it terrific texture and the asparagus and mushrooms give it a smooth vegetal flavor with undertones of umami. If you don’t like mushrooms you can easily leave them out, it is up to you.
Since I love soups with smooth textures I pureed this one with my hand blender before adding the rice. It made it perfect for spooning out of a warm mug for lunch or serving alongside our first grilled chicken of the season for dinner. If you love asparagus as much as I do don’t forget to check out these terrific asparagus recipes!
To get us all in the mood for spring let’s have a giveaway! This month Kraft Foods is giving away a $100 American Express Gift Card to one lucky reader. I’ve also created a terrific Asparagus-Themed Pinterest Board to share all of our favorite asparagus recipes.
To enter to win the $100 American Express Gift Card:
1) Share your favorite dish with asparagus
2) For a second entry please visit KraftRecipes.com and share what recipes or ideas you’re inspired to try this spring.
3) Contest runs from April 6th at 7am ET to April 12th at 7am ET. Winner will be announced in the April 18th newsletter. Winner has 48 hours to claim their prize before another is selected.
(This post and the giveaway are sponsored by Kraft. The recipes and opinions are wholly my own. Kraft Foods is providing the prizes for this program at no cost to me and has provided me with a gift of equal value for review. This program is not administered or sponsored by Kraft Foods or its affiliates, but solely by The Naptime Chef. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that make The Naptime Chef possible.)
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan sauté the scallions and green onions in the butter until softened. About 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook until tender. About 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, broth, water, salt, and pepper and simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and puree the soup with a hand blender until it is a nearly perfectly smooth consistency. Then, add the rice and bring the soup to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve hot.