Greek Chicken Skewers
This post has been updated October 3, 2016 as part of the 5 Affordable Weeknight Dinners with Whole Foods Market. We were able to enjoy this recipe again in a whole new way with ingredients from my recent Whole Foods Market trip.
These chicken skewers are a favorite of ours. This week it is part of our 5 Affordable Weeknight Dinners with Whole Foods Market. For this project I am sharing how I make five delicious, easy dinners for my family using one bag of Whole Foods Market groceries. I love shopping at there because of their extra fresh ingredients and high commitment to quality. Before I go I always check my Whole Foods Market app and sales flyer for downloadable and printable coupons. They are so easy to use and offer terrific discounts for so many of my favorite every day staples, and the specialty items I love to try.
Making these was super easy and it was made even easier by the spices and chicken I bought at Whole Foods Market. I love buying my poultry there because it is such high quality and I never have to worry that I am getting something that has been filled with antibiotics and water. Whole Foods Market implements and easy to understand animal welfare system in their stores so I can make informed choices about animal welfare when I make my selection. I also know they never sell meat or poultry that was raised with antibiotics, growth hormones, or animal by-product in their feed. With these high standards I never worry about my purchase!
For flavorings I like to pick up 365 brand spices and oils from the spice aisle. They always taste great and are a very reasonable price. Who can argue with that? Some oils and spices can be expensive and flavorless, but that isn’t the case here.
Last weekend some good friends visited us in Cooperstown. When they came in on Friday night we had a big feast to welcome them. It was all about easy, homey food that we all could enjoy at the big table. My mom made one of the salads from my cookbook, lots of corn, and a salad. I contributed these Greek chicken skewers my friend Caroline had made for us earlier this year. They marinade couldn’t be more simple and their bright, garlicky flavor is ideal for a family meal .
This simple dinner is ideal for summer and fall entertaining. Pair it with a salad and some rice and you’ve got a terrific full meal!
(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Whole Foods. The photographs and ideas are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that make The Naptime Chef possible.)
marinade adapted from Sandra Lee
- ¼ cup freshly chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Homemade tzatziki sauce, or store-bought
- In a large bowl whisk the first 7 ingredients. Pour it into a large ziploc bag and add the cubed chicken and vegetables and toss everything well so the chicken is completely covered with the marinade. Refrigerate the chicken this way for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken heat the grill to medium flame. Place the chicken on skewers. Place them on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Make sure the chicken is cooked through. Serve warm with a side of tzatziki sauce.