Rice Cooker Breakfast Burritos + Panasonic Rice Cooker Giveaway
One of the few kitchen appliances I’ve never purchased is a rice cooker. I am pretty good at cooking rice on the stovetop so it never seemed crucial to have one. Would we eat more rice if I had one at the ready all the time? Probably. So when Panasonic asked me to test out a SR-DF101 rice cooker and participate in their #RiseandShine Better Breakfast Month I figured it was a good idea. It was the perfect opportunity to finally test this appliance everyone loves and see just how versatile it is.
Since the challenge focused on all breakfast foods I decided to make breakfast burrito wraps. I know a rice cooker can always get rice done, but using it for breakfast was an intriguing idea. I wasn’t sure about the eggs, but a little research showed that lots of people puts eggs in their rice cooker and it works. Thankfully they were right!
During my experiment I was very pleased to find the SR-DF101 very easy to use. I am not an appliance novice, but I still get wigged out when something is so complicated I have to refer to the manual a thousand times just to turn it on. True to the booklet, I simply pressed a button and the rice cooked up tender and fluffy.
We had a lot of fun adding up some flavor to our rice to make the burritos. I used tomatoes, chiles, and chicken stock for the liquid, and added spices and salt for extra kick. I cracked the eggs in right after the machine finished cooking and flipped to “keep warm” mode. They cooked on the “keep warm” feature on top of the rice for 10 minutes and set perfectly! To finish the burrito I scooped an egg and some rice on top of each tortilla and wrapped them up. They made the perfect easy breakfast that would be delicious any day of the week.
To get you to add a little more pep to your breakfast routine and join the #RiseandShine Better Breakfast challenge Panasonic is giving away a SR-DF101 Rice Cooker to one lucky reader! Here is how to enter:
1) Leave a comment sharing your favorite rice dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
2) For an EXTRA entry tweet a photo of your dish and tag @TheNaptimeChef and @HomePanasonic with the hashtag #risendshine
3) Contest runs from September 29th at 7am through October 6th at 7am. Winner will be announced in the October 10th newsletter so be sure to subscribe! (upper right hand corner!)
(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Panasonic. The photos and opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that make The Naptime Chef possible.)
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tortillas
- Add the rice, tomatoes, chiles, salt, red pepper, and chicken stock to the bowl of the rice cooker and stir to incorporate. Press the "White Rice" button on the rice cooker and allow the machine to cook. The light will switch to "Keep Warm" when it is finished. At that point, open the machine and crack the eggs on top of the rice and close the lid. Allow the eggs to cook for 10 minutes to set. Reopen the lid and scoop the rice and egg into each tortilla.