The Havarti & Ham Waffle Sandwich
I’ve noticed a waffle trend around the web recently and I am enthusiastically jumping on board. We love using our waffle maker and the idea of using it to make savory toasted sandwiches is the coolest thing ever. Sure, we make Paninis at home, too, but the waffle sandwich is just so interestingly savory with a touch of sweet. To get use to the process, we made our first batch with slices of Arla Dofino Creamy Havarti and regular smoked deli ham.
It took a couple of tries to get the sandwich making process just right and then we were golden. We were able to churn out delicious sandwiches right and left. In fact, it got so easy I even made some in the morning for my daughter’s lunch box! Here is how we did it:
1) I poured the homemade sugarless waffle batter (recipe below) into the waffle maker and let it cook completely. I repeated the process with a second waffle, but kept it on the waffle maker once it was cooked.
2) I layered on the creamy Arla Dofino Havarti slices.
3) Lastly I layered on the ham, topped it with the first waffle, closed the waffler maker again (it doesn’t close all the way at this point since the waffles are double-thick) and cooked the waffles again just until the cheese melted.
Then, I removed the waffles, cut them apart (since our waffle maker makes a round of heart waffles) and served them hot. The resulting waffle sandwiches were crispy on the outside with lots of melted cheesy deliciousness on the inside. They were the neatest new way to eat our favorite grilled cheese!
(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Arla Dofino, one of my longtime sponsors. The recipes and photographs and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that make The Naptime Chef possible.)
- Waffle Mix:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices Arla Dofino sliced Havarti
- 1 slice smoked ham
- To make the waffles: Whisk the ingredients together in a bowl until completely smooth. Then, cook the waffles on your waffle maker according to manufacturer instructions.
- To make the sandwich: Place two slices of Arla Dofino Havarti and one large slice of deli smoked ham on top of one cooked waffle on the waffle maker. Place a second cooked waffle on top and close the waffle maker as much as possible. Toast the waffles until the cheese in the center is melted.